I remember a few years ago (then in my early twenties), a friend that is several years older would watch me eat whenever and whatever I wanted. She would always say, “Just wait until you’re almost 30, your metabolism will slow down over night.” Boy, was she right! Between my very sedative job, my love for baking and being closer to 30 than 20, I have seemed to gain ten pounds over night!
I LOVE to eat. I have next to no self control when it comes to turning down a delicious meal, and I refuse to count calories. Because of this, I decided to try out cutting way down on my carbs. While I absolutely love bread, pasta and dessert, I’ve already noticed how much better I feel after being conscious about how many carbs I am consuming.
With that being said, I highly recommend this low-carb chili recipe. It doesn’t include beans, but I didn’t miss them. My only complaint was that it was a little too saucy, so next time I am going to use actual tomatoes and cut down on the tomato sauce. It makes about four to six servings. I estimate it has less than 20 carbs all together. Woohoo!
- 1 lb ground beef (I used 1/2 lb and it was plenty)
- 8 oz tomato paste
- 1 can of tomato sauce
- 1½ tomatoes, chopped (or one can of diced tomatoes)
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped (the original recipe included red peppers, but I used green and loved them!)
- 2/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1½ teaspoons cumin
- 1½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 cup water
- Brown the ground beef, drain, add onion and green pepper. I like mine a little crunchy, so I didn’t cook them too long.
- Mix all ingredients in crock pot and stir in the ground beef, onions and green pepper.
- Cook on low for one to two hours.
- Garnish with green onions and a small dollop of sour cream (totally optional, I couldn’t resist the sour cream!)
Original recipe here.